Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Carving Out a New Niche

Anyone who knows me very well knows that I'm perpetually experimenting with the hobby world, trying to find something that feels like a good outlet for me. This oft neglected blog is one of those things, dating back to when I began to script and draw web-comics as a means of coming to terms with loneliness and dissatisfaction with the job I had. But then I got a new job, and taking time to draw out those web comics just wasn’t in the cards. They did their job though; they kept me sane long enough to improve my situation. So I thank you, first incarnation of The (mis)Adventures of Wade.
Of course, this wasn’t my first step into the art world. Some of you may know that I used to fancy myself quite the artist. I even applied to some art schools. They unanimously rejected me. I had some very creative ideas, but alas, the talent just wasn’t there. I was just good enough to know how good I wasn’t. So aside from a doodle here, a sketch there, and a few paintings along the way, my forays into the art world have been a thing of the past.
But recently I found myself the new owner of a slightly used hand press and linocutting tools. I’ve always been interested in printing, and in something of a perfect storm, I’ve got a new hobby; a new hobby of which I know nothing about. Before nabbing this gear, the last print I made was over a decade ago in high school art class. I’m still sweeping a little dust off the creative side of my brain, and knocking some rust off of my hands, but so far I’ve really been enjoying myself.
I’ll try to keep you posted on how it goes. Who knows, maybe if you’re nice, you'll end up with a print or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment