Wednesday, March 19, 2014

New Toys!

I've had to put some things on hold to work on internship reports so that I can go take oral exams and finalize this second MA. I'm really the opposite of excited about the whole thing. I would much rather be reading comics, making prints, or even scanning photos at the day job. But, the plus side is that I'm using these internship reports as an excuse to buy a registration jig.

WHICH ARRIVED TODAY!

And that's pretty cool. I've been considering making one, but given my limited number of tools in the apartment, and the fact that buying the materials would probably have cost me as much if not more than the one I ordered complete, I decided to go ahead and purchase one.

And its arrival has transformed me into a little kid on Christmas morning in Batman jammies. At least in my imagination...


So now that it's here, I'm a little more motivated to finish writing reports so that I can do a little experimenting this weekend. Even if I don't get my reports completely finished, I'm sure that I can take a break to pull a few copies of Think Digital/Act Analog or a second proof of the "cat" print.


I'm pretty pleased with it, at least via my quick inspection. It isn't too light, in fact it's pretty weighty. It does seem to want to slide around on the table I usually do my printing on, but I think I can rectify that fairly easily. The side for printing unmounted lino is a little too high for what I've currently got, but I think I can take care of that with some wooden shims, which I'm going to need to adjust the width of the margins anyway. I'm sure I'll have more to say about it after I actually use it to pull some prints, but for now I'm pretty happy.

Of course, now that I have a better method for registration, I'm really itching to do a reduction print, and I have a new daffodil drawing that may fit the bill. 


I'll keep you updated when I finally get these reports written and I can get back to working on important stuff (which is printmaking, obviously).

So I'd call it a pretty good day. If you're interested feel free to follow me on twitter (@CaptGam) or on Instagram (http://instagram.com/wdtellett), and I always welcome any and all comments. Til next time friends.

Unless otherwise noted, all work by Wade Ellett is licensed under a
  Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at https://themisadventuresofwade.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment