Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The Beat Goes On

It's been a little longer between blogs than I like, but I've been a busy man. I've had a lot going on at work, home, and everywhere I've been in between. So what have I been doing? Well besides being swamped at the day job...

For starters, I finally finished my Athena run. As in completely finished, all prints made, trimmed, editioned, and signed. This block is now officially retired.


I also got a good start on Tables Turned. This is my highest volume run at this point, so it's being broken into even smaller groups than I usually print. Considering that I'm making fewer mistakes these days (cheers to improving) I should hopefully be able to finish up all these prints by mid-April.


I also printed a first proof of my as of now still untitled print of my cat. It's given me a little trouble, mostly because my experimenting with creating texture fell really flat and ended up leaving me with a lot more white space than I initially planned. After the success of creating texture in Athena I'm a little disappointed that this didn't work out a little better, but I'm still pretty pleased with the overall design and appearance of the proof. 


I am just going to have to do a little more learning and experimenting with creating texture before I can safely tuck that tool into my utility belt, but I did learn a bit about what not to do while working on carving this block. Namely, not to get ahead of myself. I should have done a little more planning on how to remove the lino in such a way as to show fur but try to maintain the appearance of a white cat. I'll try to keep that in mind in the future, but this pretty much guarantees that you'll see another design of a white cat popping up eventually.

Perhaps the most exciting bit of news, however, is that I finally pulled a final print of Think Digital/Act Analog. It turned out pretty good, and peeling it off the block to see it looking right was a pretty exciting moment. I may or may not have done a little happy dance around the apartment (hint; I did).


Now I just need to keep that momentum going and finish that run before too long. Hopefully within the next month of so. I'm going to try to keep from jumping into too many designs all at once and see the ones I'm working on through from start to finish. I'll let you know how that goes.

Thanks for checking out my latest work, and I hope you come back and see what I'm doing down the road as well. If you're interested in getting updates, interesting tidbits, or random thoughts from me, then please follow me on twitter (@CaptGam) or on Instagram (http://instagram.com/wdtellett). As always, please feel free to hit me up in the comments section as well, I welcome any and all interaction.

Unless otherwise noted, all work by Wade Ellett is licensed under a
  Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at https://themisadventuresofwade.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment